The City of Portsmouth elects a City Auditor to serve four-year terms as its Chief Fiscal Officer.
- Serves as the director of the Department of Finance and Audits
- Performs the duties of the City Treasurer, having charge of the administration of the financial affairs of the City, including keeping and supervising all:
- Revenue recording
- Expenditure tracking
- Financial reporting and control
- Custody and disbursements of City funds
- Serves as paymaster for nearly 300 City employees and officials