The mission the Department of Public Service is to maintain the City’s parks, streets, cemetery, traffic control, and all vehicles and equipment, as well as provide a sanitation service to every household for the safety of the public and improvement of the quality of life for the citizens of Portsmouth.
Our vision is to create and maintain a quality public service that will provide a sustainable community with a clean, safe, and pleasant environment that the citizens and employees of the City will be proud of, and will help the City maintain a strong sense of community into the future.
In order to accomplish our mission and make our vision a reality, we must make these shared values fundamental:
- Assume a positive intent
- Listen - seek first to understand, then to be understood
- Look for the lesson when mistakes are made
- Be trusting, trustworthy, and accountable
- Treat others as they would like to be treated
- Be tough on the issues, tender on people