BRAVO is an organization that works to eliminate violence perpetrated on the basis of sexual orientation and/or gender identification, domestic violence, and sexual assault through prevention, education, advocacy, violence documentation, and survivor services, both within and on behalf of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning communities.
Domestic Violence Includes:
* Physical Abuse: Pushing, choking, kicking, burning, locking in/out of house...
* Emotional Abuse: Making you feel embarrassed in front of others, ignoring you, withholding affection, ridiculing, isolating you, false promises...
* Verbal Abuse: Criticizing, threatening, blaming, degrading, making you feel "less than"...
* Sexual Abuse: Forcing unwanted sex, constant sexual demands, forcing sexual behaviors or techniques that you do not want to do...
* Financial Abuse: Withholding money, withholding child support, destroying property, creating unrealistic debt...
IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING VIOLENCE AT HOME:
BE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU DO NOT CAUSE THE ABUSE TO HAPPEN. YOUR ABUSER IS THE ONE RESP0NSIBLE FOR HIS/HER ACTIONS.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE ISOLATED. FORM A SUPPORT NETWORK, TELL YOUR FAMILY OR CLOSE FRIENDS, CALL THE POLICE, CALL BRAVO.
BE SURE TO DOCUMENT AND REPORT THE ABUSE EACH TIME. IF POSSIBLE, KEEP A LOG OF THE DATE, TIME, LOCATION, AND ACTION OF THE ABUSE.
DEVELOP A SAFETY PLAN TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND YOUR CHILDREN AT HOME, WORK, SCHOOL, OR IN THE CAR.
PROTECTION ORDERS MAY BE FILED WITH THE POLICE AND THE PROSECUTOR. IT MAY HELP BUT IS NOT FAIL PROOF.
ARE YOU IN AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP?
* YOUR PARTNER'S MOODS MAKE YOU WORRY AND CHANGE YOUR BEHAVIOR
* YOUR PARTNER USES JEALOUSY, ANGER, MONEY, THREATS, TO CONTROL YOU
* YOUR PARTNER CONTROLS ALL THE MONEY, THE DECISIONS FOR PURCHASES, AND WANTS YOU TO COME TO HIM/HER FOR THE MONEY
* YOUR PARTNER INSULTS, MAKES FUN OF YOU, EMBARRASSES YOU, AND/OR ACCUSES YOU OF HAVING AFFAIRS
* YOUR PARTNER SCREAMS AT YOU, THROWS THINGS, BREAKS YOUR POSSESSIONS, HIDES YOUR BELONGINGS
* YOUR PARTNER CLAIMS TO BE OUT OF CONTROL BECAUSE OF YOU BUT IT IS REALLY ALCOHOL, DRUGS, ABUSE
* YOUR PARTNER FORCES YOU TO HAVE SEX, HURTS YOU SEXUALLY, OR FORCES YOU TO DO SEXUAL ACTIVITIES THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO
* YOUR PARTNER SLAPS, SHOVES, PINCHES, PUNCHES, SUFFOCATES YOU
* YOUR PARTNER THREATENS TO "OUT" YOU IF YOU ARE LGBTQ (LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, TRANSGENDER, OR QUESTIONING)
* YOUR PARTNER THREATENS TO FORCE YOU OUT OF YOUR HOME WITHOUT ANY BELONGINGS, WITHOUT YOUR CHILDREN, WITHOUT MONEY
YOU COULD BE IN AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP IF YOUR PARTNER SHOWS ANY OR ALL OF THE ABOVE BEHAVIORS. PLEASE SEEK HELP IF YOU FIND YOURSELF IN AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP!
Homophobia is the irrational fear or hatred of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexuals, Transgender and Questioning individuals. It can be the cause of conflicts in workplaces, homes, neighborhoods, and families. Sometimes homophobia may lead to hate crimes and violence against individuals whose lifestyles may seem different than the abusers. Homophobia behavior may be reversed or eliminated through knowledge, education, social interaction, and the willingness to understand diversity.
BRAVO's mission: BRAVO works to eliminate violence perpetrated on the basis of sexual orientation and/or gender identification, domestic violence, and sexual assault through prevention, education, advocacy, violence documentation, and survivor services, both within and on behalf of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning communities.
STREET SAFETY BASICS:
* BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS
* PLAN YOUR ROUTE
* WALK CONFIDENTLY
* CARRY A WHISTLE
* TAKE A BRAVO SELF-DEFENSE CLASS
* BE SAFE, BE ALERT, REPORT VIOLENCE
BUCKEYE REGION ANTI-VIOLENCE ORGANIZATION
GLORIA A. McCAULEY, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
[email protected] (E-MAIL)
P.O. BOX 82068 COLUMBUS, OHIO 43202
TOLL FREE: 866-86 BRAVO
E-MAIL: [email protected]
SUPPORT: [email protected]
AS WITH ANY EMERGENCY SITUATION SHOULD YOU NEED MEDICAL, EMERGENCY, OR POLICE ASSISTANCE, PLEASE CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY!